18 January, 2009

Hayden and Ducati could be winners

Whilst Dorna are panicking to keep 18 bikes on the grid - meaning nobody is actually marketing the upcoming MotoGP season - I thought I should talk about what I'm looking forward to this season.

For one, I'm hoping the battle between Rossi and Stoner grows into a full on rivalry but I think one of the most interesting plots is Hayden's move to Ducati.

I like Nicky Hayden and was glad to see him win the championship in 2006. Much like Aaron Slight Nicky never got a good deal from Honda. They made it pretty clear they'd prefer him to test parts for Pedrosa than actually win things.

I also think he is the only guy out there who thinks and works harder than Rossi. Look at the reports from tests - Hayden always works hardest. His commitment is beyond question.

He also works the rear end very hard and is not afraid to light it up. This kind of mid-corner throttle commitment is a key to Stoner's speed.

Ducati have thought long and hard about why only Stoner gets on with the red bike, and I think this is what's led them to Hayden. Stoner is fully committed laying it on the line in a way that others aren't. And this is the common ground with Haydon. The only difference is Stoner often crashed his Honda trying to get the most out of it.

The prospect of 2 Ducati's at the sharp end of races....I'd pay to watch that. Bring it on.

(p.s. Nicky, update your website man)

No comments:

Post a Comment